On cringing and making my 12yo self proud





Welcome to my very public private diary. Grab a seat, get comfy. I'm Sam. Right now, I'm drinking coffee spiked with Bailey's and listening to Ariana Grande. I'm 24 years old. I live with my boyfriend in a flat in Melbourne, Australia. 
Yesterday we were at the beach in St. Kilda and we started talking about a video we'd seen about Ikigai, which is essentialy your true purpose/calling in life. One of the bits you need to think about is what you used to love doing in your spare time when you were between 8 and 12 years old, before the world told you what you should be doing. That's when I remembered about my blog. I used to have a blog back when I was 12-13 years old. I searched and I found it. OH God, the cringe. It was CringeFest featuring all of your favourites: xD :P =) and many more, also, it didn't have a theme. It was just ramblings. From movies that I loved and wanted to write a mini review of, to songs I enjoyed and posted the lyrics of, to short stories (some of them not even mine and without crediting the author, sacrilege) and then just plain thoughts on life without much context. Honestly there's so much shit there, I'm very grateful I set it on private back in 2011/12 (can't remember when, but that was a very good choice).
I am, although, very grateful to have given myself the space to be creative without judging. It's something I have struggled to find perhaps since I became a teenager, which is, coincidentally, when I set my blog on private. 
Today I choose to give myself the space. I choose to be cringy. I'm grateful to have stuff to cringe about. I'd rather have that and cringe about it, than having created nothing at all. Today I choose to make my 12 year old self proud and create. Enter: new blog. 
I don't know what is to become of this space. All I know is, writing makes me happy. I have journals from when I was 7 years old and I had just learned how to make cohesive sentences. Literally since I know how, I've used language as my magic wand. Reading and writing have been part of my life since I could read and write. What I'm trying to say is, welcome to my very public private diary. You'll find cringy stuff, definitely, because it's inevitable, but also, I hope, you can find something that will make you stop and look at the world differently. And just to finish up, thank you for reading. There is a reason behind me posting this, rather than writing in my physical journal. I'm not sure what that reason is yet, but I'm sure I'll find it along the way. 
Love always, 
Sam. 


Comments